Day Fifty Eight : Penultimate - Word Games

Penultimate

Definition

1 : next to the last
2 : of or relating to the next to the last syllable of a word

Penultimate isn't the last word in words for things that are next to last. There is a pair of noun synonyms that are used commonly enough to have gained entry into abridged dictionaries: penult and penultima. Although all three can refer to something that's next to last, penult and penultima are usually a bit more specific; they are used most often to identify the next to last syllable of a word. All three derive from paenultima, a Latin root from paene ("almost") and ultima ("last"). 


"Apple"
"Lemon"
"Orange"
"Grape"
"Pear - wow, fruits really do have a lot of letters in common."
"Apple."
"Can't say the same word twice. You lose."
"Argh. Want to go again?"
"Well, it is the traditional way to ward off bad spirits that want to do you harm as you walk along at night."
"So it's like a good luck charm?"
"Kinda."
"Do we need to use something to ward off bad spirits in the middle of the day whilst sitting in a knock off McDonalds?"
"You never know. Besides, the world's about to end so anything, really, could happen. Plus, it's a good way to pass the time."
"If you say so."
"Meh, you're just a sore loser."
"You know, some people are spending their last moments on earth, I don't know, shagging, looting, bathing in money, having meltdowns."
"You want to have a melt down?"
"No, but, you know, bathing in money sounds pretty fun."
"Money has no value anymore, you know that. Plus you'd get like a zillion paper cuts."
"Oh come on, indulge the fantasy of it."
"Still no. I hate paper cuts."
"Fine."
"You could slurp your drink a little more quietly you know."
"You always say that."
"You always slurp it too loud."
"Whatever. It's too late to change it now. Anyway, I'm impressed these guys still had ice."
"It's never too late to learn decent manners. The syrup hasn't gone off either."
"Lucky."
"Lucky."
"You can see the asteroid now."
"Can you? Where?"
"Lean this way and look through those two tall buildings over there."
"Oh yeah, so you can. Those aliens were pretty sore losers huh."
"Totally. I mean, we whupped their arses fair and square - pretty petty of them to shove an asteroid in our direction."
"Maybe it'll miss us."
"I think if we can actually see it now, that's pretty unlikely."
"Bummer."
"Yep."
"So."
"So?"
"Why didn't you go do your equivalent of swimming in a pool full of money?"
"I thought it was a bath tub?"
"Quit quibbling, you know what I mean. Why meet me here?"
"You don't know?"
"Isn't that why I'm asking?"
"I just thought it was the same reason that you came here too."
"Maybe I just want to hear you say it."
"Maybe I should say 'you first'."
"Nope. I asked first, so you say it."
"You're such a child."
"I still asked first."
"That guy down there is on fire."
"I see him. Someone will put him out soon enough - or he'll just get squished by the asteroid. Stop changing the subject."
"I'm not."
"You are. Answer the question."
"You're so pushy."
"Always."
"Fiiiine. It's the end of the world."
"So?"
"So where else would I want to be except beside you?"
"That's a question."
"It's still my answer."
"I see."
"That's all I get."
"That... and, I guess......ditto."
"Tomato."
"Tangerine"
"Nectarine"
"................gosh darn it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day Eighty Seven : Expunge

Expunge Definition 1 :  to strike out, obliterate, or mark for deletion 2 :  to  efface  completely  :   destroy 3 :  to eliminate ...