Day Forty One : Sodden - Man Eater

Day Forty One

Sodden
Definition
1 a : dull or expressionless especially from continued indulgence in alcoholic beverages
2 a : heavy with or as if with moisture or water
b : heavy or doughy because of imperfect cooking
Did You Know?
Nowadays, seethed is the past tense and past participle form of the verb seethe (which originally
meant "to boil or stew"). Originally, however, seethe could also be conjugated in the past tense as
sod and in the past participle as sodden. By the 14th century, sodden had become an independent
adjective synonymous with boiled. And, by the 16th century, it had taken on the figurative sense used
to describe someone who appears dull, expressionless, or stupid, particularly as a result of heavy
drinking. Today, sodden is commonly used as a synonym of soaked or saturated. Seethe followed a
different figurative path: while one who is sodden may appear dull, torpid, or sluggish, one who is
seething is highly agitated, like a pot of boiling water

The rain was lashing down, soaking my already wet clothes until they clung to me like turgid slugs,
bloated on the water from the sky and salty waves flinging themselves over the side of my small boat
like needy children. 

Battered about by the stormy waves, my small rowboat still held strong. No leaks had sprung despite
the constant watery barrage and both it and myself, though heavily waterlogged, were miraculously
still in one piece. 

I gritted my teeth as I bailed yet more water over the side. An almost pointless endeavour, the
volume of whatever I bailed out was more than doubled when the next wave crashed over the side -
but the boat was already heavy in the water and I needed to do anything I could to better the situation
I currently found myself in.  

A harsh sound escaped my lips - I couldn't tell if it was a laugh or a sob. 

He had made it sound like such an adventure - my father wouldn't give us permission to marry so let
us elope together, stow away on a merchant vessel, marry in secret and then return in triumph. So
romantic.

So stupid. 

Of course even I, sheltered and naive though I was, had heard about how superstitious sailors were
and how nearly none would permit a woman to travel aboard their vessels. Women had special sailing
vessels assigned to them - and other sailors would avoid those who worked on such ships as if they
had the plague, no matter how well they were paid. 

So when my lover had told me he hadn’t bought us tickets on the ships that permitted women, seeing
as they were so expensive, and had instead bought us passage on a ship that did not, even I had
hesitantly asked if that was such a good idea. 

He had laughed off my fears, saying that we could easily disguise me as a man and even if I were to
be discovered, they could easily bribe the sailors - money trumps superstition after all. Everything
would be fine and if something were to happen, he would protect me. 

They discovered my identity three days into our journey. 

Apparently, money does not trump superstition. 

I still remember the look on my lover’s face, his eyes downcast as he turned away from my pleading
as they forced me into a rowboat and cast me out, over the side of the ship, down into the sea below. 

I watched that ship sail away until it became a speck in the distance. No other rowboat was lowered,
no handsome figure leapt from the deck and swam towards me, begging my forgiveness and
promising to keep their oath to protect me. 

Alone in nothing but a rowboat, miles from anywhere and anyone. 

When night fell, i began to row. Trying to guess from the stars which way was home. It was better than
simply waiting to die anyway and now that the shock had worn off, I needed somewhere to direct my
rage. Rage at him of course, and rage at my stupid, stupid self. 

By the time the sun had risen again, blistered peppered my hands like unwanted freckles, my clothes
reeked with sweat and I knew I was completely and utterly lost. 

I would never see home again. 

I kept rowing, blood now staining the oars from the blood weeping from my burst blisters, my skin
scorched from the merciless sun above me. My hair nothing but a rats nest from the salt laden wind. 

I kept rowing. 

The wind began to build up, bullying the waves either side of my boat into slamming into us. The sky
above began to churn, the clouds turning a mixture of dark purple and black, the sea below us soon
following suit. 

The waves became ferocious roaring lions, constantly swiping at us. They took first one oar and then
the other, ripping them from my hands, tossing them into the now night black sea.

I clung to the boat with one hand and bailed as fast as I could with the other. 

Eventually, the sea took my pail as well. 

I clung to the sides of the boat. Wind lashing me, water beating me, being spun around and around
and around at the whim of the sea. It would have been so easy to simply let go and wait for the
inevitable. 

I clung on. 

I was still angry.

When it got to the point that surely, surely neither the boat nor i could take anymore and would be
shattered to pieces, we were suddenly spat out into an area of complete. The water was as smooth
and still as a man made lake on a clear spring day and the air around us was filled with a dense white
fog. 

Even I had heard of the Gutling Sea. 

With no oars or rudder left to steer the boat, I simply sat, hands folded neatly in my lap and waited to
see where the current would take my little boat and I. 

We drifted along for what seemed like an age, the hem of my ruined dress floating gently in the water
that still filled the bottom of my boat. After a while I untied my hat and used it to bail out some of the
water. It wasn’t like I had to worry about the sun here after all. 

The hat eventually dissolved into pieces, but at least I had removed the majority of the water to the
outside of the boat at that point. I watched the ribbons and flowers that had decorated it sink down
into the bottomless depths. 

Eventually, my boat bumped into something. Unsteadily making my way up to the prow and peering
through the fog, I concluded that we had reached some sort of land. 

My clean water had been washed away, as had all my food. I had, forcefully, drunk plenty of the rain
water that had fallen on me whilst we were in the storm, but that wouldn’t quench my thirst forever. I
would need more water if I was to stay alive. 

My mind made up, I clambered out of the water, alternatively pushing and pulling my boat until it was
safely stowed above the tide line. 

I pushed my ratted hair out of my eyes and set off to explore. 

The fog was everywhere and I couldn’t see more than a few steps ahead of me, making progress
slow. The ground beneath me was soft and squishy, somewhat akin to stepping on rotting flesh. It
made my skin crawl to walk on it. 

I walked and walked, until I nearly walked right into what I was looking for. A small spring bubbled up
from where the ground had appeared to be split in two, clear water pushing up and then falling away
into a small stream.

I reached out with my hands. 

“I wouldn’t touch that if I were you. Not if you wanted to keep those pretty hands of yours.”

I turned, slowly. Perched on an outcropping of rock behind me, her tail wrapped around it to maintain
her balance and webbed claws digging grooves into the stone, was a mermaid.

She saw me looking a grinned - displaying her teeth which truly revealed her carnivorous nature. 

“And why should I believe you?” I asked, my voice calm.

She shrugged, her second eyelids momentarily blocking her all black eyes. “I’d normally advise
against it, us not being on the friendliest of terms with landlubbers and all - but it works out poorly for
me if you’d lost the use of your hands.”

I just stared at her.

She sighed. “Fine! Grab some of that shrub growing over there and stick that in it - just make sure you
don’t touch it.”

Thinking that I had nothing to lose, I did as she said. 

The second the plant touched the water, it crumbled and dissolved. I hastily dropped it and stepped
back. 

“See?” the mermaid said. 

“Why did you help me?” I asked. I thought back to what she had said. “If I don't have my hands, surely
that would make it easier for you to catch and devour me.”

She folded her arms and nodded her head in agreement. “Right, right? Except, this isn’t a usual
circumstance a mermaid normally finds herself in.”

I waited. 

She huffed. “Fine. The tide threw me up here when the storm blew through. I can’t get back. I need
your help?”

“And why should I help you?”

“I did just save your hands from getting melted off.” 

“For nothing but your own benefit. You said it yourself.” 

She grumbled but then said, “fine. What about a deal. You help me get home and i help you get home.
From your clothes it’s obvious that the Gutling Sea was not your intended destination. What happened
lover boy convinced you to sail away to sea with him them threw you overboard once it got
complicated?”

She clocked the look on my face and started to laugh, long malicious chuckles. 

“Bank on the money then!” she chortled. 

Red faced with shame, I spun around and immediately began marching back to shore. 

“No, wait!” she cried out behind me. “Don’t leave me!” 

I ignored her and kept marching. 

There was a thud behind me, I glanced back to see her fallen from her rock, dragging herself painfully
along the ground with her arms towards me. 

Her hand was just as ragged as my own, the webbing on her hands now dirtied and torn, scales were
flaking from her tattered looking tail. 

She had run out of time.

I turned away.

“Please!” she begged. 

I had begged, pleaded and sobbed to be saved and still he had let them throw me overboard.

I stopped. My hands clenched into fists. She was a monster who had killed an untold amount of
people. 

“Please.” she asked softly. 

Cursing at my own stupidity I whirled back and grabbed her none too gently and slung her over my
shoulders, my knees nearly buckling under her weight. 

I took a deep shuddering breath and focussed on my next step. And the next and the next and the
next. 

With my lungs burning and my entire body quivering, I eventually broke through the mist onto the
beach. 

I tossed the mermaid into my boat. 

“Hey watch it!” She said indignantly. 

I ignored her, too busy trying to heave air into my aching lungs. I collapsed down onto my knees. 

The mermaid peered over the side of the boat, looking surprisingly concerned. “Are you alright?”

“Why...are..you...so...heavy?! I managed to gasp out. 

She lashed her tail, clearly irritated. “Don’t be cheeky.”

“Don’t break my boat!” I snapped back. 

She stilled her tail, looking contrite. “Sorry.”

I waved it off. “Just let me get my breath back and I'll push us in.” I said. 

The mermaid nodded and then focused on splashing the remaining seawater in the bottom of the
boat over her tail. 

“Sorry!” she suddenly blurted out again. “I shouldn’t have laughed.”

“No.” I said my eyes narrowing, then i looked away. “But it’s not like you were wrong.”

She shrugged. “Human men are known to have silver tongues. Heck, they’ve fooled a mermaid a time
or two before - which they’ve always regretted in the end of course.”

I smiled. “Must be nice.”

She sat upright. “I can totally sink his ship for you if you like.” she said enthusiastically, her tail
wagging. “You can watch the life slowing drain out of him with your very own eyes - they’ll make you
feel better.”

I had to stifle a laugh, it was clearly a genuine offer and she meant it to be kind.

“Thanks, but no.” I said. “I appreciate it though.” I sighed. “What am I going to do? I can’t go home -
my family would never take me back unless I was properly married.As i am now, i’m just tainted -
they’ll never let me even pass the threshold.”

“That’s ridiculous!” she exclaimed. 

“Mmmh,” I said. “But I knew the risks when I left - I was just foolish enough to believe they’d never
apply to me.”

“I still think drowning him will make you feel better.”

“I’ll bear it in mind.”

The mermaid looked deep in thought. “If you can’t go home without a husband - why not just get a
new male? There’s loads around here.”

“I don’t think I could ever love again.” I winced at how over dramatic it sounded but right now felt it to
be completely true.

She shrugged. “Who said you have to love him? Just find an amenable partner and have him play the
part. Friends are more fun than lovers anyway.” her tail started wagging again. “Oh, oh, we could be
friends.”

“Sorry what?” I asked, slightly dumbfounded. This mermaid was definitely not acting at all like the
mermaids in the fiercest man eater stories she’d ever heard. 

“We could be friends. Me and you.” she said enthusiastically, pointing at us both.”I mean, you’ll have no
chance of surviving in the Gutling Sea by yourself whereas it’s practically my backyard. “I can show you
all the cool stuff, we can go on an adventure and maybe pick up a male on the way if you see one you
like. C’mon, it’ll be fun!” 

“I, I can’t do that?”

“Why not?”

“It’s, it’s not proper for a lady.” I said drawing myself up, my family’s voices ringing in my head. 

“It’s not proper for a lady to run away to sea with a man in the first place.” she said bluntly , “and it’s
definitely not proper for a lady to survive when she has been condemned to death for the crime of her
sex and of course no proper lady would eve consider carrying a mermaid on their back over unknown
terrain, simply because the monster would die otherwise. In fact, i think the proper procedure would
have been to faint and let me eat you.” she concluded. 

“Well…..” I hesitated. “I guess that’s right.”

“Exactly!” She said triumphantly. She leaned forward until her scaled, inhuman face was mere
centimeters from mine. 

“So let's go have some fun!” 

I felt, almost against my will, the corners of my lips begin to rise.

I was abandoned. I was a mess. I was lost in the most cursed dangerous and unpredictable sea on the
planet and had nothing with me except a wooden rowboat with no oars that was currently holding one of
the most dangerous man eating sea creatures on the planet. 

I grinned.

“Sure. Why not? Let’s go have some fun.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day Eighty Seven : Expunge

Expunge Definition 1 :  to strike out, obliterate, or mark for deletion 2 :  to  efface  completely  :   destroy 3 :  to eliminate ...